Sunday, January 24, 2010

A JQ Introduction

Greetings One and all! Welcome to Toyconstruct.
It is a new blog that I have setup with my fren, Josh, that combines many of the various hobbies that we do.

Topics on it will range from Making Model Kits to Tabletop gaming. Of which it will be categorized into Modern Military, Other Military, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Games, Japan-Fan, Reviews, Painting Tips and Superheros.

As you may have notice by now, this is a hobby blog that doesn't really focus on just one but many aspects of what I would term Geeky Collectibles.

But hey, I Love what I do, and those who have frequent to the blog must have share the same interest as me.

Here's a bit about me before we get down to the FUN STUFF.
Since i was a little kid, I had my fair share of toys and collectibles. Being born in the time before consoles and PC was a predominant force in the youth generation, I was influenced by toys and collectibles that filled my childhood life wif many memories.

It first started with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, followed by Transformers and Gundam.
Of course, due to my destructive nature of clashing these action figures and models, they seem to disintegrate over time.

It was until I was 11 years old that my Dad showed me his hobby in which he took up when he was around the same age as me then. It was collecting military model kits. From World War 2 kits to Vietnam War, he had a huge collection. Although i have never seen any of his models (I do recall seeing a Aircraft Carrier Model, Not sure if i destroyed it or it just got chucked away), he always pasted the picture provided from each model kit on an exercise book.

Furthermore, he had newspaper cuttings of various military equipment that were featured on the papers during his time which dated back to the Vietnam War era.

My Dad's books, almost 40 years old or more.


Newspaper cuttings that he collected during the 1960s


He made a book of the models he made and detailing their characteristics on his exercise book.

His hobby inspired me. On top of that, I'd always had a thing for Military stuff. From the little green men every little boy had, I was interested in it. Eventually, I started my own collection of military stuff. As I got more familiar with Warfare and the art of it and the various equipment used, I finally grew closer to the modern era of warfare and its accessories as it was more of my in-sync to my generation than my dad's yester-years or WW2.

I had a keen affiliation with modern warfare and have continued since then till now. Its been close to 13 years and I'm still in it. It was no easy task though. Looking at model kits from the outside, you only get to see its ready made form which looks so real and enticing. Even as a child, i was so amazed at how well it looked and the attention to detail each ready-made model kit had.

Little did i know i had to "DO IT MYSELF" But i was determine to make something and call it my own. Eventually i did, But at first, things did get spurned out looking like crap and far from the assembled look that the box shows, but I sure did try my best. And as the saying goes, "Practice makes perfect."

One of the first few tanks i made. It was suppose to be motorized but i destroyed the motor and
as u can see, it is barely even painted and had red patches all over cos i tot it would look colourful. My T-90 Tank

Back then as an 11 - 12 year old kid, I didn't really have a good sense of painting.


Among the various services in modern military, I had an increasing fascination for the navy and their modern warships. In my honest opinion, they require the most skill to paint and assemble and are not really durable. They also do not make good PLAYTHINGS. Nonetheless, Fascinated with the navy and all tht it is.

But when i first started, it didn't look really that nice... as you can see from below. I had a particular liking to make things colorful, even when i was 13- 14 years old.


Over the years, i started learning, and it was not until i got to know about Warhammer did i realize about acrylic pain and the wonders of it. Through warhammer, did my painting started to begin to look better.

Initially, it was rather plain...
like this one


Eventually lighting and shading and inking came into play, followed by layering in warhammer figures. These improvements also influenced my military stuff and that's how i have progress today.

Been in it for over a decade, and although i wouldn't say I'm an intense fella with a exponential improvement curve, i take my time and live a balance life.

And when time gets limited, i try my best to make use of what i have to enjoy the painting while doing the painting. Aside from that, i enjoy making conversions or repainting painted stuff to look better. And when i get really sick of it (which at some point u do get that type of feeling), I search for awesome collectibles from modern military to collect.

On top of that, i do collect various Japan-fan stuff and Action Figures that appeal to me. But thats pretty random to me as a whole compared to my long standing warhammer and modern military collection.

Of course, other than all these geeky hobbies, i do have my fair share of other stuff i do. From playing the guitar to gaming, to having a social life. And as such, for those who are interested in the scope of geeky hobbies like tabletop gaming to painting, i thought i could share wif u how u can balance both lives and yet enjoy the experience of what all these hobbies can offer u.

For newcomers to such hobbies, it will be a way to know how to get started, and for master class veterans of the hobbies or standard level hobbyist, it will be a good place to share and build a commity of Cool head geeks.

That's all i gotta say. Next would be my dear fren, Josh, intro. And after that, We shall get the ball rolling on Geek Life!

OH YEAHH

Till then Cheerios!

No comments:

Post a Comment