Friday, September 19, 2014

STGCC 2014

Hi there people!

It has been quite a whirlwind of a period for me dealing with work. Somehow, I manage to catch STGCC 2014 this year. Sadly, I am rather disappointed with this year's event. It almost seems like as the years go by, STGCC appears to be getting less awesome. Through my own observation over the years that STGCC had been held, Guest appearances have been dwindling, some mainstays that made STGCC iconic are not even around anymore and the event highlights seem less impressive.

It does put to question on whether the "Comic/Nerd/Geek" following has dissipated in our sunny island or has ReedPop fail to alleviate STGCC in being the hub for Comic Conventions in Asia?

This year's STGCC saw the absence of the Marvel Space and Panel and Imaginary Friends. There wasn't even a major feature in this year's event that compelled my soul to go. Despite my disappointment in the event as a whole, I manage to find a few stuff that impressed me.

Thanos by XM Studios

For starters,  Imust say that I am thoroughly impressed with XM Studios recent sculpts. Their Magneto and Thanos sculpts were absolutely bad ass. They have come a long way as Singapore's very own producer of limited edition premium statue collectibles. When I first saw them in the first STGCC event, I was not really particularly impress with the sculpts. The details were lacking and the colour rather primary and basic compared to what HOT TOYS and Sideshow had to offer. However, this year, they were one of the main event with the Magneto and Thanos Sculpts.



XM Studio nailed it so well that their Magneto Collectible Sold Out before I had a chance to contemplate the amount for these awesome statue collectible.

"Why are you so beautiful, Groot, Why??"

Another Impressive batch of figures that caught my eye were from DAM Toys. DAM Toys created this series of figures under the name Gangster Kingdom. Gangster Kingdom features Mexicano and British Gangster/Holligan Persona in an animated style that we are familiar with. While it is your standard 1/6 Scale figure, the head sculpts were done to look animated. This particular style was intriguing and cool as usually most 1/6 scale figures are done to look as realistically human as possible.

This UK Thug and its sculpt reminds me very much of Vinnie Jones

A few of the Gangsters from Gangster Kingdom

This particular figure reminds me of Jason Statham. For all intentions and purpose, I am quite sure the sculpt of his head was done to look pretty much like him.

Another Bad Ass

DAM Toys also had a few other gangster, one looking very much like Danny Trejo from his famous action film, Machete as shown below.


Last but not least, Soldier Story attracted me this year with the Zero Dark Thirty DEVGRU Team Leader. This bad ass Seal Team Six Operative had all the equipment to boot as featured in the movie. I for one particularly like the exact details that they have put into sculpting the head likeness to Joel Edgerton who acted as the Seal Team Six Leader. Furthermore, the helmet with those super cool looking 4 lens NVGs are on another level of bad assery not seen even in Call of Duty.

That is one mean looking Seal with the weaponry and equipment one can only dream of

It's Joel Edgerton!

Voltron, Defender of the Universe and his handicap sidekick, Me

I have been looking at what is in store for New York Comic Con and it sounds like it is going to be one mucho supremo magnifico event with the featured guests, exhibitors and panels. While it pales in comparison to San Diego Comic Con, ReedPop has made NYCC look as good as ever. My only hope is that they would do the same for STGCC. Hopefully, STGCC 2015 will be more kick ass. I can only have my fingers crossed for it!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet looking selection here! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, THAT IS ONE AMAZING LOOKING THANOS STATUE!!!

    I hardly see good works on Thanos. Where can I get it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta wait for the pre-order to come out for Thanos by XM Studios. Check out the link : http://www.xm-studios.com/po-ship-dates.aspx
    The imposing figure is going to set u back at least USD$630.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the figures look so sweet man! Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete